Monday, November 14, 2005

Blogging sober

Fiona is blogging merry tonight, I am quite sober as I burn the midnight oil report filling.

  • I don't want to see a mobile phone shop for at least 6 months but I fear I will be in 5 more this week. Can't possibly say why but its for work and nothing else but I have earned my masochism Girl Guide badge. And as for the popcorn eating sales consultant? (evil laugh)
  • I do think some aubergines need to be sweated. The Parmigiana Melanzane tonight was a bit on the bitter side.
  • Liz McManus the deputy leader of the Labour Party said yesterday at a party seminar that the party does not advocate gay marriage. So glad I was working and not present to hear this....

'How our proposal to “recognise and respect the family not based on marriage” could open the door to gay marriage I do not understand. It seems to me that the majority on the committee were reacting to the proposal more by way of knee jerk and instinct rather than on any reasonable analysis.

I do appreciate by the way that there are sections in the gay and lesbian community who may wish to go further than Senator David Norris does in his Civil Partnership Bill and would wish for full equivalence, both as regards rights and obligations and as regards terminology, between marriages as presently
understood and gay unions.

That does not seem to me, however, to be a feasible proposition and it is not one that the Labour party advocates. We do fully support the civil partnership proposal.'

I wonder how many lesbians and gay men she has talked to? As many as Michael McDowell? Labour all about feasibility, not a lot about choice and equality. There will be more to come on this in the next while no doubt

  • Since I am not married nor really want to be I did not receive gifts of poetry, willow or leather today. But I got a kiss!

1 Comments:

At 09:52, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at that Labour event, I'm not a Labour supporter though. Yeah, it seems Labour has turned into a party concerned more with getting middle class votes than getting equal rights for people. They seem to think it is one or the other.

I'm reminded of a Ben Franklin quote: "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security"

Hello new Labour, goodbye equality.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home