Saturday, November 12, 2005

The Nally Case

I am sure the Irish blogosphere will hotly debate the Nally sentence in the coming days. United Irelander has already started the Free Padraig Nally campaign. The non virtual campaign itself started on the Late Late Show last night which had a very one sided debate assisted by Tony Martin, the UK version of Nally (well not really but you get the picture.)

I won't go on and on about it all. I think Nally got off lightly, he shot John Ward twice including once in the back as Ward retreated following being beaten 20 times in the head with a stick like one would beat a badger.

And I don't care how many times I hear the phrase 'I'm not a racist but' in the next few days on the radio etc. from those who believe Nally was justified and his sentence is too harsh. If Nally had killed a settled person, I believe we would not be hearing half the rumpus about the severity of the sentence.

Vincent Brown wrote extensively in Village and the Sunday Business Post upon Nally's conviction in July about the many other disturbing features of this trial. The other half said to me that 'murder is murder' this morning when I told her of the story and the coverage - except I had to explain to her that in this case it was manslaughter according to the Mayo based jury.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home