Sunday, July 30, 2006

7 seconds

The Sunday Times is sitting on the coffee table. (I didn’t purchase it!) I might pick it up for a look later on. But the significance of the location of the paper and my disinterest in it is something deserving of comment. I have been thinking a bit about my media consumption – being interviewed today about my blog for a newspaper article reminded me about the changes in how I access information. Yesterday watching and reading about contributions to Blogher, I saw part of a keynote from an 80 year old blogger, Millie Garfield. She reflected on how her day, media consumption and in fact her life has changed due to blogging and the internet.

In the past 6 months I have read fewer books, magazines and newspapers – the paper versions. When I think about buying a paper I now make a calculation about how much of it I have already scanned online and whether it’s worth buying. However I read more newspaper and magazine articles than ever before – but mostly online.

I have listened to less radio (thanks in part to Ryan Tubridy!) and watched very little television apart from the World Cup, some golf and the news channels. I have no idea what’s happening in soap land. I watch Big Brother only on eviction night, and watched my first film on TV in I don’t know how long on Thursday night. (Suprisingly good film on Channel 6 – Dirt)

I watch the news online on RTE, BBC and various US news channel websites, trying to watch the news at home when one does not control the remote was difficult enough - now I have an alternative and also choice in the stories I consume.

Technorati or my Bloglines list are now probably my first port of call for catching up on a news story – what is News though? – that too has changed for me. For example, I have more interest in technology, social media and eastern European lgbt politics than I had a year ago when I started blogging. (Whether I understand any more about technology and the tech industry, Web 2.0 etc. is debatable!!)

I know more about what is happening in Robert Scoble’s life than what’s happening on Coronation Street. I listen to the Daily Source Code and many other tech/political/food podcasts every week including bits from BBC Radio 4 and Newstalk’s output which they now podcast. The Guardian’s podcasts are also a part of my media diet. I’ll readily read politician’s blogs (sans press releases!) rather than watch Oireachtas Report or listen to David Davin Power’s analysis.

Feminist writing and analysis is more easily found online than in mainstream outlets, Feministe and Womens Enews feed that part of my media soul.

My interest in current affairs has not lessened at all, the way I consume information has. I search for items for both my blog and also for other online resources I manage and I add to my increasingly diverse pile of useless information that I keep in my head. Well try to keep or at least let pass through my brain on its way somewhere else!

Tom Raftery talks about the goldfish effect on all this information consumption – yes with the huge expansion in blogging one does have to really stand out to be remembered. But this was the same with ‘old’ media too. Blob blob blob….

5 Comments:

At 18:29, Blogger Simon said...

good post. I feel the same. Who interviewed you

 
At 19:37, Blogger Maman Poulet said...

the irish indo, we'll see if it ever makes it to being available to wrap chips in. Oooh dinner...

 
At 19:48, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant post.

 
At 09:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for saying, what I was trying to say, far more eloquently than I ever could!

It is true that it is the goldfish effect happened with old media too. However, there are far more information sources now (50m+ blogs) to forget than there was when we just had old media!

 
At 21:20, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post Maman Poulet, raising important issues.Food for thought (or am I thinking of chips also?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home